This delicious and colorful recipe is from UNPROCESSED by Chef AJ. With the bright orange sweet potatoes, white beans and rainbow colored chard this is a very pretty soup. But if you can’t find Rainbow Chard, feel free to substitute Swiss Chard or any greens such as collards, spinach or kale.
Ingredients, Serves 6-8:
• 8 cups of water or low sodium vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons of Sun Dried Tomato Powder
• 2 leeks (approximately 6 ounces) thinly sliced
• 2-3 large sweet potatoes (2 pounds) peeled and cut into uniform cubes
• 2 cans of Cannelini Beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 pound of Rainbow Chard, chopped
• 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice (with zest from lemons)
In a large soup pot, bring the water to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and add the leeks.
Cook for about 8 minutes until soft.
Add diced sweet potatoes and cook another 8-10 minutes until tender.
Add the beans and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Remove soup pot from heat and stir in chard so that it wilts.
Stir in lemon juice and sun dried tomato powder.
Sprinkle chopped Italian parsley on top, if desired and garnish with a fresh lemon twist.
The preparation for this soup can be done in advance. You can have the leeks, sliced, the sweet potatoes diced, the beans rinsed, the chard chopped, the juice squeezed and the water measured out. Then it takes only 20 minutes to cook it. This recipe can easily be doubled.