Talk about easy! This Vegetable Quinoa Salad by Carrie Forrest is great to make at the beginning of a busy week to take to work or school. You can serve it plain, over fresh salad greens, or in a tortilla for a healthy, delicious meal. The Herbed Hemp Dressing is not required for this recipe, but adds a nice punch of flavor.
Ingredients, Serves 8
1 cup brown lentils
1 cup quinoa
2 bell peppers
1 Fuji apple
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 red onion
1 bunch, flat-leaf parsley
1 bunch, fresh mint
– Pick over lentils to remove any debris. Rinse and drain. Cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
– Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
– Chop bell peppers and apple into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
– Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over low heat until they become fragrant. Set aside to cool.
– Mince onion and add to mixing bowl. Chop parsley and mint and add to bowl.
– Add the cooked lentils and quinoa to the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the pine nuts.
– Juice the lemons and pour over the entire mixture. Serve the salad warm or cold, topped with Herbed Hemp Dressing, if desired.
Herbed Hemp Dressing
Ingredients, Makes 1½ cups
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup coconut vinegar
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1 bunch herbs
1 tablespoon onion flakes
– Wash and dry fresh herbs and remove leaves from stems.
– Combine herbs, onion flakes, hemp seeds, almond milk and coconut vinegar in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.