This recipe is reminiscent of Magic Cookie Bars, aka 7-Layer Bars, which many of us may remember from childhood. The difference between this recipe, aside from using healthier, organic, gluten-free, non-dairy ingredients, is that they are just sweet enough without being too sweet.
Ingredients, Makes 16 squares
1-1/2 cups crushed Mary’s Gone Crackers™ Mini Grahams
2 Tbsp. Native Forest™ Organic Coconut Oil, melted
1/2 cup (1 oz) coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (1-1/2 oz) Enjoy Life ® gf, dairy-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1/2 oz) Let’s Do…Organic™ Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, coarsely chopped or Let’s Do…Organic™ Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
7.4 oz can Let’s Do…Organic™ Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk, blended well
– Preheat oven to 350° (177C).
– Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper.*
– In the bowl of a food processor or by hand, drizzle coconut oil into the crushed grahams until they hold together.
– Using the back of a spoon, firmly press the cookie mixture onto the parchment paper until it holds together (this is critical otherwise the cookies may fall apart after baking).
– Scatter the walnuts in one layer on top of the cookie layer. Then scatter the chocolate chips on top of the nuts, and the coconut on top of the chips.
– Drizzle the sweetened condensed coconut milk over top of the cookie mixture.
– Bake for 30 minutes until lightly brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for @2 hours before cutting.**
– Store at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the refrigerator. If you prefer them gooey, heat briefly before serving. Make a double batch and freeze one!
*If you omit this step and opt to spray the pan with oil instead of using parchment paper, it may be a challenge to remove the cookies from the pan, not to mention washing the pan!
**To solidify for ease in cutting, refrigerate for one hour or longer after cooling.
© 2016, Mimi Clark, Veggie Gourmet, http://veggourmet.wordpress.com
More information and photos: http://www.edwardandsonsrecipes.org/?p=5699