Courtesy of Chef Pat Lee | Austin, Texas
With cooler weather on the horizon pho is an excellent dish for a cold day.
While most pho is made with a beef, chicken, or fish-based broth, Austin-based restaurant PhoNatic is quite a popular spot for vegans and vegetarians because it is one of the only Vietnamese restaurants in Austin to offer a true vegetable-based pho. PhoNatic’s Veggie Pho, or Pho Chay, is made with a slow cooked vegetable broth chocked full of crispy tofu, assorted veggies, and topped with fried shallots.
Here is a recipe for PhoNatic’s Veggie Pho that has been modified so it is easy for the at-home cook to create.
For the Broth
- 2.5 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 med yellow onion
- 1 (3inch) piece of ginger
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 (2-3 inch) stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- 3 star anise
- 1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Pho Bowl
- 24oz fresh/frozen “Banh Pho” noodles
- 1 cup straw mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 large pieces of baby bok choy cut into fours
- 1 pack medium hard tofu cubed
- 1 cup sliced cilantro
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced red onions
Garnishes and Sauces
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Hoisin Sauce
- Sriracha Chili Sauce
- In a small wok or fry pan, roast cloves, cinnamon, coriander, star anise over medium heat until fragrant. About 5 minutes total. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, tie all toasted spices in a tea bag or cheesecloth. Place ginger and onion over open flame and char with tongs until both are soft to the touch. About 8 minutes over low heat.
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil, add spice pack, onion and ginger to broth, reduce heat to med low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add kosher salt and mushroom seasoning. Taste and add addition salt if needed. Simmer for another 5 to minutes.
- Remove spice pack, onion, and ginger with a strainer. Strain any loose particles that may be left in pho broth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- To assemble bowls, take a fist full of noodles and put into boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove, drain, and pour banh pho noodles into a large bowl.
- Ladle pho broth into bowl until all of the contents are submerged. Top with green onions, red onions, and cilantro.
- Add beansprouts, basil, jalapenos, limes, hoisin sauce and sriracha chili sauce to your liking. Voila, you now have a delicious, steamy bowl of veggie pho. Quick and easy. Enjoy!