November is World Vegan Month, making it the perfect time to raise awareness about vegan food and beverage choices. It’s also a good time to remind people of the importance of opting for organic beer when they make their selections. With so many people focusing on vegan lifestyles this month, it’s an ideal time to look at how organic beer fits right in.
The term “vegan” was coined in 1944 by a man named Donald Watson. It is a lifestyle seeking to reduce contributions to animal cruelty. Those who follow a vegan lifestyle avoid consuming or using any animal-derived products, as well as animals being used in entertainment when possible. Most vegans also try to be mindful of their environmental footprint, because when caring for the planet you’re also protecting it for all beings inhabiting it.
In addition to the millions of people who adhere to a vegan lifestyle, interest in plant-based foods also continues to steadily rise. According to the Plant Based Foods Association, U.S. retail sales of plant-based foods have grown 11% in the last year, and now have a market share value of $4.5 billion.
Due to some of the ingredients used, or because of the animal products used during the refining process, many beer and wine options are not vegan. Vegans seek out beer options that match their lifestyle choice, and organic beer makes for a great match.
Here are 5 reasons to pair vegan food with organic beer:
- Organic beer is more environmentally friendly. It’s made with ingredients that are grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides, including barley and hops.
- When beer is made with organic ingredients the environment is protected from chemical runoff. Chemical runoff is responsible for harming water sources and the ecosystem in general.
- Organic beer is also thought to be healthier because it’s made with better ingredients. Plus, many people find that this process leads to a better tasting final product.
- Organic beer is the best option for pairing with vegan or plant-based lifestyles. Due to the way it is made, it’s a natural fit for people who are more mindful of what they consume. Jai Ho 100% organic beer, for example, pairs well with spicy and savory dishes. Whether having an ethnic meal, such as Indian or Thai, or savory vegan entrées like mushroom stroganoff, baked mac and cheese, or tacos, Jai Ho 100% organic beer makes for perfect pairing. Vegan sushi is another good option for pairing with Jai Ho beer.
- Opting for a beer that’s labeled 100% organic, consumers will be avoiding chemically added sulfites. According to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, only beer that contains organic ingredients and processing aids with no chemically added sulfites can use the “100% organic” label. Those using just the “organic” label must contain at least 95% organic ingredients, with no chemically added sulfites.
Jai Ho Midnight is a craft India Pale Ale (IPA) beer featuring a red/orange pour with a frothy white head and a smooth citrus aroma. Having already caught the attention of many craft beer enthusiasts, it’s currently available in numerous cities around the country. It’s 100% organic and made with high-quality barley malt, hops and crystal-clear water from the Scandinavian underground. Unfiltered and slow brewed over 49 days, Jai Ho Beer is rated IBU 57, meaning it’s less bitter than other IPAs.
Jai Ho Midnight IPA is currently available in restaurants, bars and fine dining establishments in the following cities and states: Los Angeles, CA – San Francisco, CA – Las Vegas, NV – Houston, TX – Northern Virginia and New Jersey.
Coming soon: Jai Ho Midday, a full-bodied lager that features notes of fruit and hops.
Follow on Instagram (@jaihobeer), Twitter (@jaihobeer) and Facebook.
For more information, please visit: www.jaihobeer.com