Because lentils are LIFE. Add them to as many recipes as possible. Protein, magnesium, fiber, iron, and so much more. Add this family favorite to your rotation.
• 1 Tablespoon Neutral Oil
• 1 Onion (about 8 ounces- small diced)
• 2-3 large carrots (about 6 ounces- small dice)
• 2-3 Celery Stalks (small dice)
• 4 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
• 1/2 Cup Red Wine
• 1 Cup Dry Red lentils
• 3 Cups Vegetable Broth or Water
• 28 Ounces Marinara or your favorite Pasta Sauce
• 1 Tablespoon Dried Italian Seasoning
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 1-2 teaspoons of Pink Himalayan Salt or To Taste
• 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
• Garnish with a Cashew Parmesan or Plant Based Parmesan
• *Optional: Add fresh herbs such as Basil, Thyme or Oregano if available.
Heat a large pot on medium high heat.
Add oil along with onion, celery and carrots.
Season with salt and sauté until slightly translucent then add minced garlic.
Sauté for 30-60 seconds then add red wine to deglaze the pan.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until alcohol is slightly cooked off.
Add red lentils, broth/water, bay leaf, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to the pot and lower the heat to medium.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
After simmering add marinara to the lentil mixture, stir, cover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until lentils are softened. If the lentils thicken too much just add an extra 1/2 cup of water if needed.
Taste seasoning and adjust if needed, add fresh herbs and serve with your favorite pasta.
Garnish with a plant based parmesan and or fresh basil.
Source: Chef Charity Morgan